You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy this delicious vegetable lasagne. It's flavoursome, filling and full of nutrients.
The base of the lasagne is made from layers of zucchini, pumpkin and sweet potato which provide B vitamins, vitamins A and C, manganese, potassium, magnesium, antioxidants and fibre. Passata (especially if you’re making your own or going for a really simple one which is about 99.9% tomatoes) will be a great source of vitamin K and the phytochemical lycopene, which is a powerful antioxidant.
The creamy delicious bechamel is a nutrient powerhouse. The bulk of it is made from cauliflower and silken tofu. Cauliflower contains some powerful antioxidants including sulforaphane, which is a well-studied antioxidant associated with a lowered risk of lots of chronic illnesses. Some of the other amazing nutrients found in cauliflower include Vitamins C, K, B6, Folate, Pantothenic acid, Potassium and Manganese. The silken tofu provides a source of protein, calcium and iron. We’ve also included our Wholefood Pantry Nutritional Savoury Flakes add delicious flavour and heaps of nutrients (they are a great source of all of your B vitamins, calcium, iron, zinc and potassium). So layer the bechamel on generously!
1 whole cauliflower, cut into 1cm thick florets
1/2 kent pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
1 medium size sweet potato, cut into 2cm cubes
½ bulb garlic, unpeeled
1 tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp ground cinnamon
3 zucchinis, sliced into ‘sheets’ with a speed peeler
2 sprigs rosemary
3-4 springs of thyme
500 ml tomato passata
300 g organic silken tofu
¼ cup almond milk
½ cup vegan nutritional savoury flakes
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place pumpkin and sweet potato on a large lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, pepper a pinch of cinnamon and fennel seeds. Mix to combine, and roast on the middle rack for 30 mins.
- Place cauliflower florets on another lined baking tray, along with the ½ bulb of garlic (leave unpeeled so that the garlic roasts inside the skin). Drizzle with olive oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix together, cover with foil and roast on the bottom rack for 30 mins.
- To make the bechamel, place half of the roasted cauliflower, all of the roasted garlic, silken tofu, vegan savoury flakes, pinch of salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg into a blender. Blend until a smooth puree forms.
- On a baking tray, pour over a little passata and herbs to cover the base of the tray.
- Lay out some of the zucchini sheets on top of the passata.
- Top with roast pumpkin, sweet potato and cauliflower, and ½ of the bechamel.
- Repeat the layering of passata, herbs, zucchini, roast vegetables, finishing with the bechamel layer.
- Bake for 30 mins, or until bechamel becomes golden brown.
- Serve hot with a crunchy salad for added texture.
A little note from the author
We shared the image from this recipe over on instagram and you guys loved it, so we have included this gorgeous recipe on our blog. All credit goes to Nutra Organics for the amazing image + recipe. We stock Nutra Organics in-store after using their product extensively with our family. We only stock what we have tried, and love!